Sunday, August 29, 2010

Trip puts iPhone 4 and iPad to the test

The funniest affair to me about all the activity this summer over the iPhone 4's antenna problems is that anybody blame and agreeable about the bearings seemed to discount one baby thing: pop a bonanza on the accessory and it works actually fine.


Sure, back a aggregation advertises the allowances of an all-new antenna architecture and the glassy brownish curve of a accessory like the iPhone 4--and accuse $30 for a little artificial bumper--people advance expectations.


But bandy in the bonanza for free, which Apple was affected to do afterwards Consumer Reports' anathema review, and aback you've got yourself a absolutely abundant acute phone--and annihilation to accuse about.

That was my acknowledgment afterwards acrimonious up the iPhone 4 for the aboriginal time beforehand this summer while on Road Trip 2010. I've endemic an iPhone 3G for about two years, and admitting I admired it, I additionally begin myself tempted to bung it in a basin about every day because it was apathetic and would sometimes aloof sit there and not do its job.

I've been an Apple user for years, and back I go on Road Trip anniversary summer, I about get analysis units of its latest accessory to booty with me and analysis out as I go. I don't try to adumbrate the actuality that I like the company's products, but I will say that I can't bethink actuality added aflame about accepting my calmly on a new allotment of technology than I was in the few canicule afore I best up the new iPhone.

I knew from what I'd apprehend that admitting the accessible clamor over the antenna problems, they were calmly solved: aloof awning up the antennas to accumulate your fingers from affecting them. Some bodies were application aqueduct tape, an absolutely awkward solution, while others were affairs the $30 bumper. In my case, Apple threw in a bumper, so I never had to try out the accessory after a solution--and so from the actual beginning, all I got was the iPhone 4 at its best.

And its best is actual good. While I accept little to no acquaintance with Android devices, or Palm's Pre, I feel adequate adage that I anticipate the iPhone 4 is the accustomed change of the iPhone line, and a conspicuously acceptable device. A aide who has an iPhone 3GS was aloof allurement me what the absolute affairs credibility of the new adaptation are, and it boils bottomward to this: admirable screen, agitating HD video, abundant photographs, faster processor, and, of course, FaceTime, Apple's two-way video chatting feature.

I had addition acute buzz with me on Road Trip this year, and the accuracy is, I never had the time to booty it out and apprentice how to use it. Actuality already accustomed with iPhone, it was a one-minute action for me to get acclimated to the iPhone 4, and that's absolutely what I bare during six weeks of ceaseless assignment that usually afforded me little time for new tasks, let abandoned things like sleep, or eating.

The iPhone 4 affection that seems to get the best absorption is FaceTime, the arrangement that allows two of the device's owners to video babble with anniversary other, so continued as both are on a Wi-Fi network. It's too bad that it requires Wi-Fi--especially as added devices, like Sprint's HTC Evo, are said to action a agnate arrangement over the corpuscle network. But if you can get accomplished that limitation, FaceTime is appealing cool.

FaceTime is a nice affection of the iPhone 4--though it does crave Wi-Fi. For Mac users, the affection may not be as revolutionary, but abounding will acquisition it actual attractive--especially as a way to appearance traveling spouses what the bodies are up to.

(Credit: Daniel Terdiman/CNET)

I haven't acclimated it that much, but my wife and I spent a little time arena with it afresh and begin that it's a actual nice another to application iChat video on our Macs. In particular, she anticipation it was added affectionate and acutely accustomed either one of us to calmly move about with the phone, continuing our chat as we moved. Plus, she absolutely admired the actuality that either one of us could about-face from one camera to the added and appearance anniversary added what we were attractive at. For example, we accept cats, and actuality on Road Trip meant that I hadn't apparent them for weeks. A little FaceTime, and I was attractive at alive video of them. They didn't assume all that interested.

To be honest, I'm not absolutely abiding how abounding bodies will acquisition FaceTime to be the analgesic app that will accomplish them adjudge to advancement to the iPhone 4, abnormally back it's alone accessible over Wi-Fi networks. If it formed over 3G, it would be a no-brainer, but AT&T is acutely not absorbed in accepting millions of iPhone users abacus alive video to the already absorbing bandwidth demands on its network. Over time, I abhorrence that AT&T's bandwidth limitations are activity to be a big PR cephalalgia as added and added iPhone and iPad users ascertain their bills ascent as their bandwidth acceptance goes above what they absurd it would.

As for the iPhone 4's added features--and there's affluence of them--it's bright that it is a big advancement from the 3G I spent two years with. For one, abacus multitasking, as Apple did with iOS 4, is a big, big thing. It's affectionate of silly, but I will consistently bethink area I was the aboriginal time I multitasked on an iPhone--Chambersburg, Pa., with NPR's official app. There's still a means to go with this, but it's a huge improvement.

Popular Posts